Another thing White Feminists™ shouldn’t do is reblog this quote and think that fills your intersectionality quota for the day/month/year. I hate to burst your little bubble but shit ain’t that simple. Also, if you see this and the first thing that pops into your head it “but Black men could vote before women,” you have a lot of work to do.
Oh mah gawd, if anyone said to me with a straight face “but Black men could vote before women” I might just get violent.
Let us not forget how many White suffragettes who claimed to be allies with Black people turned their backs on them when it came to the conversation of the vote. Which led Douglass to point out the GLARINGLY OBVIOUS: “When women, because they are women, are dragged from their homes and hung upon lamp-posts; when their children are torn from their arms and their brains dashed upon the pavement… when they are in danger of having their homes burnt down over their heads; when their children are not allowed to enter schools; they then will have [the same] urgency to obtain the ballot”.
Context is everything. To say Black men got the vote first, as if that is some huge stride Black folks have over [White] women, is plain ole ignorance. And it’s sad that this cannot even be pointed out to everyone, for there are plenty of White feminists out there who will get angered when presented with this information and cry that telling them this is simply playing “oppression Olympics”.
I have many issues with the way I’ve seen the acknowledgment of intersectionality being played out amongst many mainstream feminists. Luckily, those who I surround myself with on tumblr are amazing, knowledgable and more importantly are open to listening. But, those I’ve encountered in larger spheres are not so open to listening and recognizing when they are being dismissive of WOC’s experiences. Instead they get defensive and hostile, all the while claiming that they are true third wavers. It gets to a point where it’s just painful to deal with these people who at first act like they are our allies but when it comes down to it they show that they are far from that.
what Andrea said. you should read it.
Wow. I understand the point you’re trying to get across, but wow. Everything you said is true, but the way you’re conveying it… you’re not really helping white women understand their white privelege, you’re discouraging them from being feminists, and acting as though one form of discrimination is more damaging than another (sexism vs racism), when both are very much alive today and equally destructive.
That bold is some real bad tone policing. I’m gonna “politely” request that you sit the entire fuck down and shut up. That quote and all the damn commentary was meant for people like you. Read it again.(via brashblacknonbeliever)
- be-out-of-place-and-underdressed reblogged this from ejacutastic
- carabasdemarquis reblogged this from tommoseyelashes
- checkerdandy reblogged this from facelessmage
- kpop-fan25 likes this
- madblackgirl reblogged this from blackinasia
- kaorijoy reblogged this from amyelizabeth
- lainahhh reblogged this from collegiate-depression
- nightshadetea likes this
- heartlesslovaa reblogged this from squattingdogg
- playmelikearadio likes this
- pencilshapedironstatue reblogged this from harryjamesnotpotter
- collegiate-depression reblogged this from nemophilistical
- hueeey likes this
- jokerus likes this
- frompoetrytoprose reblogged this from iam-mirror
- alyson-wunderland likes this
- whats-that-jacket-margiela reblogged this from dolo-svon
- whats-that-jacket-margiela likes this
- manila-folders reblogged this from ejacutastic
- realsiesnnm94 likes this
- bookthiefess likes this
- dolo-svon reblogged this from vanillish
- jukc likes this
- lizabeans reblogged this from elffia
- inside-myhead reblogged this from sexismsells
- miaadamswhat likes this
- theytookmyluna likes this
- dripping-swag-goo reblogged this from darlinginmyfashion
- ndpyeye likes this
- ceramicplates likes this
- ventriculaire likes this
- kardashism reblogged this from likeimdevastated
- kristikremes likes this
- iam-mirror reblogged this from darlinginmyfashion
- dirtymetropolis likes this
- mis-edventures reblogged this from annaadelmeister
- darlinginmyfashion reblogged this from amyelizabeth
- amyelizabeth reblogged this from misszombilicious
- nicknameless likes this
- supertonicsandwich reblogged this from blueandbluer
- misszombilicious reblogged this from skyliting
- pilgrim--soul likes this
- sadbloghappyblog likes this
- t4st3sl1k3purpl3 reblogged this from crepusculecraft
- drinkslurm reblogged this from ejacutastic
- the8thhorcrux likes this
- m0ritzstiefel reblogged this from passionateforthings
- rawr-tastic reblogged this from the-diary-of-a-princesss
- the-diary-of-a-princesss reblogged this from cracktacular
- addictedtothecamera likes this