a hole for fucking.
(sorry, that’s it)
one of my neocon friends sends me dreck like this all the time. I felt like sharing my response in case anyone else has to burn their eyelids with this shit.
[what I received]
Friends and Family,
If you aren’t a liberal, you might even get a chuckle out of this. If you are, well, that’s your problem.
Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the billfor all ten comes to $100.
If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it wouldgo something like this:
The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
So, that’s what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day andseemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them acurve. He said, “Since you are all such
good customers, I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20.Drinks forthe ten now cost
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes, so the firstfour men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about theother six men — the paying customers?
How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his”fair share”? They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But ifthey subtracted that from every body’s share, then the fifth man and the sixthman would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So the bar owner suggestedthat it would
be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded towork out the amounts each should pay!
The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).
Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drinkfor free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare theirsavings.”I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man.He pointed to the tenth man, “but he got $10!”
"Yeah, that’s right,’ exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved adollar, too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more than I!"
"That’s true!!"shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10back when I got only $2 ? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn’tget anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks, so the nine sat down andhad beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discoveredsomething important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for evenhalf of the bill!
And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax systemworks. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a taxreduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just maynot show up any more. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where theatmosphere is somewhat friendlier.
David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics, University of Georgia
[what I replied]
So, let’s start with the first lie: Prof. Kamerschen did not write this. http://www.snopes.com/business/taxes/howtaxes.asp
So, you can scratch your credibility vis a vis “certified higher education economics person”. In fact, there is no traceable source to this genuflection of how hard things are for rich men.
Looking at your 10 men, let’s note a few things:
where are the women and children?
- do only men count when taxes are concerned?
- the children of the 4 men with no money are starving, diseased and not being educated. those that don’t die of disease - will end end up working in low to no paying jobs until the day they do die, or be killed off in crime, incarcerated or die as soldiers in the military
- the women of the 4 poorest are working two jobs and still have no insurance. three of them are single mothers
- the next four middle class mothers are working one full time job and raising kids as well. they will retire just before they go to a nursing home funded by medicaid and then medicare when they have no money.
- the wives of the two richest men have hired four of the poorest mothers to watch their kids while they run charitable organizations to bring bibles into poor countries and fund pro-life protests at the Planned Parenthood clinic in the neighborhood where the other women live.
not discussed in this pity party for rich men paying taxes is the earnings of these men.
- the 4 poorest are unemployed, sometimes working as day-laborers with no insurance and off the books.
- the next four workers have the following jobs: groundskeeper for the two richest, factory laborer, policeman, soldier. combined, they make 10% of the GDP. they will die two years after retirement, in a nursing home, alone.
- the second richest is an attorney, overseeing the daily operations of everything owned by the richest - which is everything, btw. he makes 20% of the GDP. he will live to be 80 y/o and see his grandchildren.
- the richest one makes 70% of the GDP and complains all fucking day about his taxes. he deserves to get his ass beat for that alone.
you’re all dinosaurs and your brand of hatred, greed and vanity are unwelcome in the present and future
Not one bit.
It is my default position and must be overcome on a number of levels.
I don’t feel bad about holding this view.
Given how many millions of people default to trusting them as their own default position, I am comfortable holding my position as part of a balanced reaction.
Given how much privilege they enjoy and have enjoyed for their entire lives, I am also aware that a) they don’t care if I live or die and b) I’m not costing them a fucking thing.
I don’t trust any republican politicians actually, but this is specifically directed to the intellectual and genetic descendants of slave and plantation owners that own and populate the republican party - lock, stock and barrel.